GM BluePlan offers a perfect blend of complementary experience and expertise in the areas of infrastructure master plans, asset management, environmental assessments, hydraulic and hydrologic modelling with proven municipal, environmental, structural, land development and construction services that allows GM BluePlan to support our clients throughout the project life cycle.
Infrastructure Planning is a foundation of our core services encompassing many key principles relevant to all our projects – comprehensive municipal engineering, strategic vision, agility in meeting client needs, consultative approach, and technical, defendable and traceable decision making.
- Master Planning
- Class Environmental Assessments
- Long Term Growth and Non-Growth Capital Planning
- Area Service Plans
- Cost Recovery Plans
- Municipal Rate Studies
- Development Charge Program Support
Asset Management can mean many things to many different people. GM BluePlan understands the range of scope and deliverables within Asset Management and how the application of Asset Management can provide a broader benefit to a Municipality.
GM BluePlan has a dynamic group of engaging professionals. We are involved in provincial, national and international initiatives where we provide leadership in advancing the Asset Management industry. Our team can assist with all facets of Asset Management across a range of organizations, from corporate level strategic initiatives to specific tactical or operational level activities. Our approach is to apply both strategic and tactical principles in our assignments. Our focus for the asset management services is the water/wastewater (linear and vertical), transportation, buildings, waste management, parks/recreation, and other municipal assets. We combine our engineering skills with innovative data and technology solutions to provide our clients with comprehensive solutions and tools.
One of our more recent areas of service delivery is working to better define the macroeconomic relationships between infrastructure investment and the prosperity of a community. Our approaches have proven to tie capital and operating budgets to impacts on level of service and risk.
Our strategic and corporate Asset Management services include:
- Municipal Asset Management plans
- Asset Management Frameworks tailored by client
- Levels of Service strategies
- Long term infrastructure investment planning
- Corporate Risk Management
- Data Management strategies
- Optimized Decision Modelling solutions
Our tactical and operational Asset Management services include:
- System Analysis and Assessment, including Inflow/Infiltration Studies and Water Distribution Needs Studies
- Linear and Facility Condition Assessment and Performance Testing
- Asset Inventory Databases and Data/System Integration
- 360 Imaging for Facility Inspections
- Infrastructure Maintenance and Renewal Programs
Hydraulic Modelling and Analysis
The foundation of our water, wastewater and stormwater work is strong hydraulic and hydrologic expertise. GM BluePlan leverages these skills with software tools to deliver comprehensive servicing analyses.
- System Modeling and Analysis
- Water, Wastewater, Stormwater and Drainage Modelling
- Transient Modelling
- Model Development and Calibration
- System Optimization and Integration
GM BluePlan provides comprehensive municipal engineering and project management services for a wide range of projects for public and private sector clients.
We develop and implement municipal solutions from concept to completion. We provide advisory services, detailed design, approvals coordination, construction administration, through to commissioning. Our core services cover Water, Wastewater, Water Resources and Stormwater, Environmental, Hydrogeology, and Waste Management.
Our range of projects and services in the municipal engineering market include:
- Class Environmental Assessments
- Treatment facilities
- Pumping stations
- Distribution and collection systems
- Tunnelling, micro-tunnelling and trenchless technologies
- Storage facilities including reservoirs, elevated tanks and equalization tanks
- Optimization and performance studies
- Standby power
- Source Water Protection
- Watershed and Subwatershed Management Plans
- Floodplain Modelling
- Stormwater Management including Low Impact Development
- Risk Management
- Construction layout and full topographical surveying
- Full time inspection and construction management services
GM BluePlan provides a broad range of environmental services to meet our client needs whether it be due diligence, regulatory or compliance.
Our projects are supported by GM BluePlan’s multi-disciplinary team of professionals and hydrogeology specialists. We are committed to the protection of our environment and drinking water supplies. We understand the challenges of managing, protecting and conserving water resources for sustainable development. Our experience also covers support services to both municipal and private landfills. Our environmental projects range from permitting and studies, to detailed site modelling and analysis, and to facility designs and construction.
Our range of projects and services related to our environmental engineering expertise include:
- Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments
- Site Remediation
- Storage Tank Removals & Associated Investigations/Remediation
- Designated Substance Studies
- Air Quality & Mold Assessments
- Air, Emissions and Noise Studies
- Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA) - Waste Management, Sewage, Air/Noise
- Permit To Take Water Studies
- Source Water Protection
- Surface Water Hydrology
- Urban/Rural Rainfall and Run-off Analysis
- Water Quality Studies
- Soil and Groundwater Quality Investigations
- Landfill Monitoring and Reporting
- Waste Management Plans
- Facility Operations, Contingency, Closure and Regulatory Plans
- Hydrogeologic Studies to Support Landfills, Sewage Systems, and Development
- Water Supply and Aquifer Yield Investigations
- Soil and Bedrock Investigations
- Contaminant Hydrogeology
Our structural engineering services are wide-ranging, from small existing condition assessments or specific component design, to the delivery of full detailed design, contract administration and construction inspection of large scale projects.
Our team has extensive experience in private, municipal, agricultural, industrial, institutional and commercial sectors throughout Ontario. Our building design and inspection services are applied to unique projects as well as integrated into larger environmental or municipal projects completed by our teams.
Our building services include:
- Structural Design of steel, reinforced concrete, ICF, wood, heavy timber structures for residential, industrial, institutional, commercial uses
- Building inspections and Building Code Compliance
- Structural appraisals
- Building Design and Retrofits
We have extensive experience in a wide range of complex reinforced concrete design projects including:
- Pre-Cast Concrete Design for chambers, manholes, culverts and bridges, deck slabs and footings
- Special structure design and contract administration/inspection for treatment plants, intakes and outfalls, reservoirs, pumping stations, wind generator structures and foundations, and dams
- Retaining Wall Design including cast-in-place concrete walls, pre-cast concrete systems, gabion baskets, armourstone and steel sheet piling, and reinforced earth embankments
We are involved in the design, rehabilitation and construction of a wide range of bridge and culvert structures throughout Ontario. We use state-of-the-art design software and incorporate innovative new products to optimize the design of structures. Many projects involve new construction, while others involve the detailed inspection, rehabilitation or removal of existing structures, including:
- Roadway, Railway, Pedestrian and Utility Bridges
- Bridge Replacements and New Structures including pile and strip foundations, culverts, rigid frame, simple span, single and multi-span structures
- Bridge Condition Surveys and Inspections (OSIM)
- Bridge Rehabilitation including pier and abutment repairs, girder, deck and barrier repairs and replacements, expansion joint repairs, replacements and conversion to semi-integral abutments
- Bridge Load Limit Evaluations
GM BluePlan has extensive experience in residential, commercial, institutional, industrial and municipal developments in both urban and rural settings.
The land development team provides surveying, conceptual, preliminary and detailed design, tender document preparation, construction inspection and contract administration. Our team provides support for projects including Zoning By-Law Amendments, Official Plan Amendments, Site Plan applications, and Draft Plan of Subdivision Applications. Our clients include municipal governments, private developers and homebuilders and business owners.
Our services across subdivision and site plan projects include:
- Full conceptual and detailed design for grading, drainage, servicing, roads, street lighting, and stormwater management
- Property investigations, due diligence and acquisition
- Feasibility and Servicing Reports
- Approvals and Permitting
- Sediment and erosion control
- Construction Layout, Inspection services and full contract administration services
- Topographic and municipal detail surveys
GM BluePlan provides engineering surveying services by utilizing the latest technology in surveying equipment and advanced techniques. For GPS surveys we utilize the Can-Net Base Station Network system. Surveying services include:
- Pre-Engineering topographical surveys using electronic total stations along with GPS data collection equipment.
- Subdivision Surveys.
- Construction layout for earth moving and construction of municipal infrastructure, roads and structures.
- Computer generated digital terrain models, profiles, cross sections, volume calculations and cut/fill balance analysis.
- 3-D surface preparation for area grading machine control.
- Setting and establishing Second Order Benchmark’s for Municipalities.
GM BluePlan also provides enhanced geotechnical services for our clients and to support many of our ongoing projects. These services include:
- Testing and Inspection
- Geotechnical Investigation Reports
- Verification of Footing Bearing Capacity
- Compaction Testing
- Gradation Analysis of Soils, Granular Materials and Aggregates
- Concrete and Asphalt Materials Testing and Quality Control
GM BluePlan has extensive staff resources that bring many perspectives on developing and delivering infrastructure programs. We leverage our practical experience to provide strategic advisory to our clients.
Infrastructure program delivery across organizations must balance sometimes conflicting interests including social, environmental and financial considerations. There continues to be focus on managing capital and operations costs in the increasingly stressed economic times. GM BluePlan brings nearly 50 years of practical experience combined with the use of proven multi-criteria evaluation tools to develop the optimum approach to delivering any project or program with full consideration to useful and efficient service through its planned life span. Our team leaders also bring nearly 50 years of experience in implementing complex projects, including implementing alternative delivery models. Our team can bring vision, strategic planning and overall strategic advisory services to your organization.
Our strategic advisory services include:
- Program Management and Risk Management
- Municipal Contract Operations
- Utility Structure and Governance
- Operations and Maintenance Consulting
- Alternative Project Delivery
- Expert Witness for Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) processes